This is one of many free samples.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
To re-establish old roles. Provide a sense of purpose.
Make sure the surrounding area for the activity is safe. Ensure that work area is uncluttered with minimum noise. Good lighting is necessary (no glare). Ideal for dementia clients.
One activity at the time, break down tasks if necessary.
All activities should be simple and unhurried.
Just guide them, do not attempt to teach new skills.
- A loaf of bread and some butter to make 'sandwiches'.
- Dusting tables and shelves encourage 'being helpful'.
- Folding kitchen towels assist with reminiscing.
- Sweeping floors or raking leaves.
- Drying cutlery and chopping seasonal vegetables (top and tailing beans and shelling peas).
- Peeling hard boiled eggs.
- If you have a sink (cold water only) they can wash plastic dishes bought in op shops (second hand stores).
- Make a kilo of dough and have 2 or 3 people rolling them into biscuits and placing in trays to be 'baked'.
- Folding serviettes.
- Ask kitchen staff to gather milk tops in red, white and blue. When you have around 100 ask two residents to separate them in colours. Give them 3 empty plastic containers with wide opening.