This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
This Horse-Race game is a great way to spend the morning!
Some memory care residents will be able to play this game too.
- Social interaction
- Great fun!
- 5 Horses - make your own using this activity diy horses for a horse race game or see the activity comments for more ideas.
- White chalk or white tape. If you use tape, remove it as soon as possible after the game - the longer it is left on, the harder it will be to remove.
- A large die
- Prizes such as: a bottle of sherry, a box of chocolates, a bag of marshmallows, a pair of socks, hand cream, face cloth, cologne, aftershave, etc.
- Use chalk or tape to make a horseshoe design on the floor (see picture). The size is up to you, it will depend on the space available.
- Write ‘Start’ at one end and ‘Finish’ at the other.
- Make lines (spaces) at regular intervals throughout the horseshoe.
- Place horses on the ‘Starting Line’.
- The first player rolls the dice once and then passes it on to the next player.
- Have participants roll the die to determine the order of play (highest roll starts etc).
- Start the game! Count the spaces to match the number rolled in each turn.
- The horse arriving at the ‘Finish’ line first is the winne!
Getting Game Ready:
- Give each participant a horse and ask them to name their horses!
- Explain the race rules
- Have the prizes on show so everyone can see
- Engage residents in the play and ask them to guess which horse will win!