This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
Singing is a favourite activity for many people and if movements are added with the hands and arms then singing can also become a gentle exercise actitvity.
- Opportunity to reminisce
- Memory recall
- Group socialization
- Pictures representing the songs you want them to remember (see below for examples)
- Enlarge, if necessary and laminate pictures
- Either a CD or a person with a guitar or a pianist to accompany the sing-along
- Lyrics of the chosen songs typed in large fonts
- Explain to participants what is expected of them. Show the first picture and wait for some responses before giving them hints.
- Lyrics are handed to participants as they remember the songs.
- If you don't have a pianist or guitar player, gather cds with the chosen songs and have them ready to accompany the sing-along.
- Encourage participants to incorporate gentle movements to any relevant songs, for example 'YMCA'.
Some ideas on songs to be chosen for Sing-along Picture Cards:
|A colourful rainbow
||Over the Rainbow
||American Pie (Don McLean)
||Bye, Bye, Blackbird
||Boomps-a-Daisy or Daisy, Daisy
|A Can of Beer
||The Pub with no Beer
||Tulip of Amsterdam
||The Windmill of Your Mind
|A Gum Tree
||Give a Home Among the Gum Trees
|A sign saying: 'YMCA'
||YMCA (The Village People)
||By the Light of the Silvery Moon
||Piano Man (Billy Joel)