This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
Improve hand-eye coordination and provide some gentle exercise for the upper body with this fun fishing game! A wonderful opportunity to reminisce in a social environment!
- Fish shapes made from cardboard or construction paper. Download fish templates provided and create the fish in a craft session. Ask residents to paint them in colourful tones.
- Yarn / thread
- Wooden sticks to turn into fishing rods (approximately 3ft (1m). They must not be heavy for safety reasons.
- Paper clips
- Glue magnets to the back of fish (at least one dozen fish are required).
- Attach yarn to one end of stick and secure a paper clip at the other end, to attract the fish magnets. Alternatively, you may glue another magnet to the end of rope; it makes for a stronger pull. That's your fishing rod complete!
- Seat 3 or 4 residents in a circle with the fish in the middle on the floor. Give each a straw hat to look the part!
- To the count of three, residents start fishing. The idea is to attract the magnets on the fish with the 'hook' (paper clips).
- When a resident manages to catch a fish, assist with taking the fish off the hook so he may resume fishing.
- The game finishes when there are no more fish in the pond.
- The best fisherman (the one with the most fish) is crowned the winner and gets a prize. Prize suggestions: a bag of marshmallows or a packet of savoury biscuits.
- Repeat the game with another 4 residents.