Absolutely love this site. I have a lady who just started to work at activities, I have introduced her to some of your activities on the site and she is doing a wonderful job and absolutely loving it as much as I do. Thank you so much Golden Carers!
I love Golden Carers! When I first became an ‘Activity Aide’ I spent hours scouring the internet looking for meaningful activities for elders experiencing cognitive decline. I finally found ‘Golden Carers’! I’ve passed along ’the find’ to the Activity Director of where I work. Thank you again for all that you do - Golden Carers is much more than a great resource for activities - it’s an education on how to provide ‘life’ to both workers and our elders.
• Have residents write out their favorite recipe take a pic with your smart phone so you don’t have to bring the paper back out of the room. Rewrite the recipes and compile into a book. Give each resident their own copy take turns making their dishes (if feasible) then let the residents write their compliments to share with each other as well! If you are letting them taste the dishes then you can let them score 1-10 the highest scoring recipe persons gets a prize 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
• Write their favorite short story then compile the stories make little booklets and give out to each of the residents to read.
• Have each resident write their best memory compile the booklet and hand out.
• Write best joke compile the booklet and hand out.
• Do encouragement cards between the residents (you can xerox their original note, that way the guest receiving the note/card gets a “clean” piece of paper. Or again you can take a pic with your smart phone print out the screenshot or rewrite.
• Assist in decorating their rooms for Easter. Or if not Easter perhaps their favorite sports team, or favorite state or country to travel to etc. and decorate away!
• Pass out mini tarts, cupcake or cake squares with a small dish of frosting and decorations that they can put on top. Give them some time then go back around when they are done decorating and take a picture compile all the pics onto one or two sheets have residents vote on their favorite one most creative. the 1st ,2nd ,3rd place winners get a prize.
It sounds like your residents I’m fairly high functioning
But these suggestions could be adapted to lower functioning residents
You may have to help write some of the information for them
If you want to stay out of their rooms you can call them on the telephone get the information and then compile the books
I especially like the joke
books because laughter is the best medicine
Thank you again for sharing this with us