This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
Shoe planters are fun to make and will give your garden or courtyard a whimsical flair.
If you don’t have any at home, they can be purchased in charity shops.
If you’re making shoe planters for bedrooms, make sure you choose indoor plants such as maiden fern, also make sure the shoe sits on a drainage saucer.
- Old shoes, boots, sneakers, any colour (adults or children)
- Terracotta sealant spray for the outside of shoes (optional)
- Seedlings, cutting or plants
- A drill or other sharp tool to make drainage holes; holes can be made on the sides of shoes or on the soles.
- Spray boots with sealant
- Fill boots with soil leaving 2 inches for plant
- Place plant in shoe and put more soil around it
- Press soil around plant and water well
Suitable plants: any fern, grass, or succulents; in fact, whatever you already have in your garden!