This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
Form your own Garden Club for residents to grow fragrant herbs and flowers at your senior living centre.This is a very soothing and worthwile activity!
If you have a large outdoor space available, you may want to request the assistance of a Garden Society in your area. They can advise you on landscaping and what plants to buy.
I like to keep it very simple. I have carried out this activity in many facilities in the past; always in black plastic pots donated by staff and relatives.
You Will Need:
- Potting mix
- Seedlings and plant cuttings:
- Herbs: parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary, chives & lavendar
- Flowers: marigolds, pansies, impatients, begonias
- Succulents: aloe vera, jade plant, echeveria
- Plastic planting pots
- Garden trowels
- Small watering cans
- Seat residents around a table (cover table with plastic rubbish bags and fasten underneath with tape).
- Provide gloves, a garden trowel and a pot to each resident.
- Demonstrate by filling a pot with potting mix, planting some seeds and watering. Encourage residents to do the same.
- Remember to invite other residents along to watch others work. The level of engagement your residents have with this activity is going to depend on their enthusiasm and capabilities.
- It is a very soothing and worthwhile activity.