This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
Gardening is a wonderful physical and emotional activity for seniors. It is an opportunity to reminisce about times gone by while reaping the benefits of sunshine, fresh air and gentle exercise.
This activity is suitable to small groups of 3 or 4 residents.
Gardening sessions should last 40 minutes to 1 hr.
- Promote physical activity.
- Aid cognitive function
- Stimulate long term memory.
- Small shovels
- Watering cans
- Small plant pots donated by staff, relatives and neighbours.
- Potting mixture.
- Plant cuttings, seeds and seedlings.
If you don't have an elevated garden bed, you can make do with a couple of tables joined together and a plastic tablecloth.
In my experience, I have found that plant cuttings are preferable to seeds, however you may try both.
- Find a suitable outdoor area, away from the sun.
- Give each resident a small shovel. If they want to use gloves, assist them to put them on.
- Start the activity by filling pots and demonstrate by planting a seedling or small cutting. You will be surprised how they will get involved in this activity with minimal guidance.
- Encourage residents to water pots and other plants around the facility with small watering cans.
- Encourage resdients to reminisce about their own garden.
- Talk about plants and vegetables they used to plant.
- Ask which is their favourite and how they liked to eat and cook their vegetables.
We'd love to hear your feedback!