This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
This simple sorting activity can be adapted for different interests and abilities.
The example provided is a handbag sorting activity for the ladies. For men, use a toolbox!
- Improve dexterity (grasping objects)
- Practice decision-making
- A handbag, old-fashioned if possible.
- Various items such as compact powder, brush, money purse, small mirror, lipstick, cloth handkerchief, small bottle of perfume, sunglasses, bunch of keys. You can use anything that belongs in a handbag. Have at least 6 items.
- Look for items that do not belong in a handbag such as a screwdriver, garden hose nozzle, a sock, a small bowl, a cat collar. Have at least 6 items that should not belong.
- A box to hold all items before the correct items are placed into the bag.
- Print out the supplied BELONG and DOES NOT BELONG labels and cut out.
- Show your resident the handbag and explain that you have some items that need to be put inside it. Ask if they would like to help you.
- Place the labels in from of the resident and explain what they mean.
- Put the box with all the mixed up items on their good side.
- Start by picking one item and asking: ‘Does it belong in the handbag?’ wait for an answer and then point to the right label.
- Repeat the process with every item.