This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
This is a wonderful one-on-one activity for the elderly, including those living with dementia.
- Reinforce self-worth
- Validation of past lives
One-on-One Activity Instructions:
- Sit with resident in a quiet and tranquil setting.
- Start by explaining what the activity is all about. Tell them that you would love for them to share a short from their past.
- Start with a story of your own to lead by example. Make sure they can hear you clearly. Your story should be simple and no more than one or two minutes long.
- Encourage them to do likewise. Prompt them with some questions:
- Where were you born?
- Where did you go to school?
- What was your first job?
- How old were you when you got married?
- Write down the story as they are telling it to you.
- Read it back to them at the end to correct any misunderstanding.
- Praise them for their effort.
- Check with family for the sequence of events.
- Ask for their consent to feature their story in your facility’s newsletter.
- Collect stories, print on ornate paper and compile them into a photo album for posterity.