This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
Give your clients a boost with some simple neurobics brain exercises!
Designed to increase brain power and sharpen the memory, the underlying concepts of neurobics exercises include:
- Focus (attention)
- Break from the routine
- Involve one or more senses in an unusual situation
These mini-mentals are equivalent to cross-training your brain!
21 Neurobic Exercises
- Sit down and dress yourself with your eyes closed (never encourage walking with closed eyes - elders do not have the necessary equilibrium to do so)
- Choose a different path to go to your room
- Once a month try a new cuisine: kimchi, gravlax, sashimi
- Use chopsticks to eat a whole meal!
- Learn to read a few words in Braille
- Play Charades
- Visit a new shopping centre
- Use the mouse with your non-dominant hand all day!
- Rearrange the furniture in your room (ask for assistance)
- Use your watch on the opposite wrist for a month
- Plant sweet potatoes or onions in a ceramic pot
- Visit an ethnic food store. Seeing, touching and feeling the spices allows your brain to form associative links
- Go on a field trip to a suburb you have never been to and discover new landscapes and parks
- Listen to classical music while smelling your favourite perfume
- Learn five feet exercises and do them first thing in the morning
- Go to the local library and read an unusual magazine; something you would not have been interested in before
- Take up a new hobby: playing the Ukulele or Bird Watching or something else
- Turn wall paintings and photos upside down for a day so your brain sees them in a different context
- Challenge your brain with mental multiplication! 58 X 12?
- Listen to a music genre you’ve never bothered with before: Rap, A Capela, Reggae, Hip Hop
- Take up meditation