This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
- Sticks of all thickness
- Safety scissors
- Paint brushes
- Paint: red, white, gold, silver, and green (Christmas tones)
- Ribbons, Christmas balls, strings, bells, stars or any other Xmas decorations.
NOTE: Establish the size of frame you want and ask a volunteer to cut sticks to size. It is not recommended to hand secateurs to clients for safety reasons. Clients may have safety scissors to cut thin sticks.
- Take clients to gather sticks at your local park. Gather lots of them.
- Rinse them in soapy water and allow to dry in the sun.
- Seat participants around a table and place pre-cut sticks nearby.
- Encourage them to use their creativity; they may enjoy making something else other than a Xmas frame.
- Tying the sticks can be tricky; secure the sticks with sticktape through the middle and tie each end with string before attempting to tie the frame together. Alternatively, it can be a two person job which will bring lots of fun and laughter!
- After tying frame together paint on one side (color of choice), allow to dry and then paint the other side.
- Allow to dry once more and then decorate as you like.
- Tie a string to the top to hang it with.