This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
Here are some ideas to help you plan an Italian themed party:
- Search for pictures of Italian architecture and famous landscapes in magazines and old calendars, and then make them into a poster.
- Greet each other in Italian for a day!
Buongiorno (Hello or Good day)
Ciao or Arrivederci (Goodbye)
Grazie (Thank you)
Come stai? (How are you?)
Che Bello! (How beautiful)
- Make large Roman numerals for colouring and place them on walls or hang from the ceiling.
- Decorate facility with the Italian colours: red green and white; make flags, garlands, bows and paper fans.
- Put small vases with a few stems of basil on each table.
- Sing along with Popular Italian songs of the 1950s and 1960s (seel list below).
- Listen to arias from famous Italian Operas (see list below).
- Find more Italian activities here:
How to host an Italian Day
Popular Italian Music
Marino Marini Quartet:
- Come Prima
- Quando, Quando, Quando
Dean Martin (Italian songs in English)
- Mambo Italiano
- That’s Amore
Arias from Famous Italian Operas
Classical music, especially Opera, does not usually attract a mainstream audience, however there are a small percentage of people devoted to this genre.
Find out who in your facility is an Opera-lover and gather them together in a room to enjoy the music. On the other hand you may ask your Italian Party guests if they would like to hear some famous Italian arias.
Here are a few to start with; you may find them on YouTube or source a suitable CD. Ask guests if they have a favourite operatic aria and add it to the list below.
List of well-known Italian Arias:
- Sempre Libera – Giuseppe Verdi ‘La Traviata’
- La Donna è Mobile - Giuseppe Verdi’s ‘Rigoletto’
- Largo al factotum della citta – Rossini’s The Barber of Seville
- Una Furtiva Lagrima – Donizetti’s L’Elisir d’Amore
- O Soave Fanciulla – Puccini’s La Bohème
- La Sonnambula – Bellini’s La Sonnambula
- Nessun Dorma – Puccini’s ‘Turandot’
- Un Bel di, Vedremo – Madama Butterfly