This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
This is a wonderful and fun social activity for high functioning residents in nursing homes and assisted living facilities to enjoy. The completed wreaths are stunning!
Note: Craft wire is sometimes sold as ‘wreath wire’. The wire must be malleable so that it can be easily folded but firm enough to hold Christmas balls when inserted into the pool noodle.
- Pool noodles, as many as you like
- Craft wire, 20 or 22 gauge or similar.
- Wire cutter
- Duct tape
- Dozens of Christmas balls - medium and small sizes
- Christmas decorations: tinsel, poinsettias, ornaments, jolly, mistletoe, ivy
- Craft glue
- String to hang wreaths
- Wide ribbon for bow (optional, you may cover the noodle with decorations instead)
Before the craft session, leisure staff or volunteers should prepare the following:
- Turn noodles into wreaths by making diagonal cuts at both ends of noodle and joining ends with duct tape.
- Cut several dozen lengths of wire 3.5” inches or 9 cm long.
- Place wreath on the table for two clients to work on.
- Attach hanging string on noodle.
Start inserting balls onto wreath: Insert a piece of wire through a Christmas ball’s hanging loop, fold and insert deeply into the noodle so that the balls are attached firmly.
- Insert balls on top and sides of noodle only (start at the sides and then on top)
- Place as many balls as possible on wreath; don’t worry if there are gaps; you can fill them up with smaller balls.
- If any gaps remain, fill with tinsel and other decorations. You may need to use some glue.