This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
A Hawaiian themed day can be as simple or as elaborate as you want it to be. It depends on your resources and enthusiasm. If you are doing it for the first time keep it simple and add new elements year by year.
For decoration you will need:
- A couple of hula hoops and a beach ball for games
- A beach umbrella, green foliage (banana leaves) from the garden to decorate the space
- A Hawaiian CD
- If your party is going to be in the morning it is a good idea to hire a movie to show in the afternoon or early evening. Blue Hawaii with Elvis Presley or South Pacific with Rossano Brazzi are suitable choices.
- A coconut tree created in a craft session
Request from the Chef:
- A BBQ lunch of pineapple-chicken or pork ribs and coconut rice
- Coconut slice for dessert or fruit salad 'Kabobs' (pieces of fruit on skewers)
- Tropical Fruit Juice. Blend tropical fruit juice and ice and serve with cocktail umbrellas and straws.
- Purchase a hula video DVD a couple of weeks before to learn how to dance the hula!
- Contact a Hawaiian Club and request a couple of Hula dancers for the day. If a Hawaiian Club is not available try Polynesian or any South Pacific group or Club. The last time I hosted this event I invited Fijian teenagers from the local High School to perform a dance. It turned up great!
- Hawaiian skirts and flower leis bought from Discount stores.
Instructions for the party:
- Make sure you have plenty of volunteers, invite relatives to attend.
- Have Hawaiian music playing in the background.
- Greet people as they arrive and place flower leis around their necks.
- Hand each guest a 'Program' for the day and assist them to their seats.
- Offer refreshments: Tropical fruit juice served in long glasses with a drinking straw and cocktail umbrella for decoration. Offer tea and coffee (old habits die hard).
- Make sure you have a dedicated MC for the program for things to run smoothly (see sample provided).
- At the end of the program announce the afternoon movie and invite guests to attend.