This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
This is an ideal activity for people living with dementia.
- Re-establish old roles
- Provide a sense of purpose
- Make sure the surrounding area for the activity is safe
- Ensure that work area is uncluttered with minimum noise
- Good lighting is necessary (no glare)
Try one activity at a time, breaking down tasks as necessary.
All activities should be simple and unhurried.
Just guide them, do not attempt to teach new skills.
Don't forget to thank residents for their help and use the opportunity to reminisce about household tasks.
- Make sandwiches with a loaf of bread and some butter
- Dust tables and shelves
- Fold kitchen towels
- Sweep floors or rake leaves
- Dry cutlery
- Chop seasonal vegetables (top and tail beans or shell peas etc)
- Peel hard boiled eggs.
- If you have a sink (cold water only), wash plastic dishes bought from second hand stores.
- Make a large quantity of dough and have 2 or 3 people rolli them into biscuits and placing on trays to be baked.
- Fold serviettes.
- Ask kitchen staff to gather milk tops in red, white and blue. When you have around 100 ask two residents to separate them into their colours. Give them 3 empty plastic containers with wide openings.