This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
The beach is a wonderful topic to reminisce about.
You can use these reminiscing questions in group activities or during 1:1 interactions. You could also print them and put them on dining room tables as conversation starters.
Remember, reminiscing is all about using open-ended questions to get a conversation going. Steer clear from any question that can be answered with a simple “yes” or “no” in order to get more of a story from your residents.
- Tell me about your favorite beach to go to as a child
- What type of beaches did you go to when you were a child?
- What was your favorite bathing suit and why?
- Did you ever load your kids into the car to road trip to a beach? Tell me about that.
- What do you remember most about summer days? (Heat, ice blocks, burnt shoulders?)
- What is your favourite thing about being at the beach?
- What type of sand castles did you like to make?
- What did you pack in your bag for a day at the beach?
- The fresh air opens appetites; what did you eat at the beach?
- What was your kids’ favorite thing to do at the beach?
- Did you ever go to the beach during the wintertime? Why?
- How would you describe the smells of the beach?
- Tell me about your favorite beach toy.
- Describe a perfect beach day
- What songs do you remember from those days?
COVID-19 Adjustment: You can have a Beach Question of the Day that you pass out to residents. Use their answers to create a Beach Buzz newsletter that you pass out at the end of each week or at the end of the month so they can enjoy one another’s stories.