This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
Hand-eye coordination. Upper body movements (exercise).
- Fish shapes cut from cardboard or construction paper. Download some of the fish templates provided and create the fish in a 'Craft' session, ask residents to paint them in colourful tones.
- Any light cylindrical wooden stick (approximately 1 metre) will do, it must not be heavy for safety reasons)
- Paper clips
- Glue magnets on the back of fish (at least one dozen fish are required).
- Attach yarn to one end of cylindrical stick and place a paper clip at the other end, to attract magnet. Alternatively you may glue another magnet to the end of rope; it makes for a stronger pull. That's the fishing rod!
- Sit residents in a circle ( 3 or 4 residents) with the fish in the middle on the floor. Give each a straw hat to play the part.
- To the count of three residents start 'fishing'. The idea is to attract the magnet on the fishes with the 'hook' (paper clips).
- When a resident manages to catch a fish assist with taking the fish off the hook so he may resume fishing.
- The game finishes when there are no more fish in the 'pond'.
- The best fisherman (the one with the most fish) is crowned the winner and gets a prize. Prize suggestions: a bag of marshmallows or a packet of savoury biscuits.
- Repeat the game with another 4 residents.