This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
Who doesn't have a deck with missing cards? In my house we have at least half a dozen incomplete decks. Don’t throw them out, use them for Hoy. It's a fun and easy game that's similar to bingo; just match the cards with the dealer's cards and win the game.
- Improve focus.
- Increase social skills.
- Maintain cognitive skills.
- Hoy sheets (download from website or make your own, see below)
- Hoy covers (make your own, see below)
- One Large Print deck of cards
- Prizes (chocolates, marshmallows, and small packets of chips).
- Group participants in such a way that they can help each other e.g. sit cognitively sound people with those with some cognitive loss.
- Give one Hoy sheet to each participant.
- Give 9 markers to each participant to cover matching cards when they are called out.
- The Dealer shuffles the large print deck of cards and ask a participant to 'cut' the deck.
- The Dealer places the deck of cards on the table, face down.
- One card at time is turned over and called out and shown to participants.
- The game continues until a player gets a full house and calls out "HOY!"
- Hand out prizes to winners
How to make your own Hoy Game Sheets:
- Several A4 sheets of paper
- Choose 9 cards including Aces, Diamonds, Clubs, Hearts and Spades.
- Place cards facing up on an A4 sheet of paper and secure cards in place with a little blue-tack at the back.
- Photocopy in colour.
- Laminate for endurance.
How to make the markers/covers:
You may use cardboard, egg cartons or styrofoam (recycle the ones that comes with vegetables or meat. If you use cardboard or egg cartons, have a craft session to decorate them by painting or covering with scraps of fabric. (See photo)
NOTE: The markers to cover the cards should not be too thin, otherwise it is difficult for elderly people to pick them up from the table. (They often feel frustrated and embarrassed when they can't do something, so making the markers easier to pick up will avoid that).