This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
- Sensory stimulation with familiar scents.
- A metre of calico fabric in a natural colour.
- Ground coffee, cinnamon stick or powder, dried lavender and rose petals.
- Rubber bands and colourful ribbons.
- Cut 4 pieces of calico into 8" x 6" (20cm x 15cm) pieces.
- Sew pieces on three sides to make squarish ‘pockets’ and leaving one side open.
- Insert each pocket with one of your chosen scents and close the opening; first with a rubber band, then with a nice colourful ribbon. Ensure residents cannot untie them.
- Seat residents (2 or 3 only) around a table and pass around one pocket at a time. Encourage them by giving clues e.g.
‘It smells like something we drink in the mornings’
‘It smells like something we sprinkle on donuts'
- Praise them for participating!
We'd love to hear your feedback!
Have you tried this activity or a variation of it?