This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
Sensory stimulation with familiar scents.
- A metre of calico fabric of a natural colour.
- Ground coffee, cinnamon stick or powder, dried lavender and rose petals.
- Rubber bands and colourful ribbons.
- Cut 4 pieces of calico 20cm long by 15cm wide.
- Sew pieces on three sides to make squarish ‘pockets’ and leaving one side to insert chosen scents.
- Insert each one with one of the chosen scents and close opening; first with a rubber band and then with a nice colourful ribbon. Make sure residents cannot untie them.
- Seat residents (2 or 3 only) around a table and pass them one pocket at a time. Encourage them to remember by giving clues e.g.
‘It smells like something we drink in the mornings’
‘It smells like something we sprinkle on donuts.
Praise them for trying!
We'd love to hear your feedback!
Have you tried this activity or a variation of it?