This is one of many free activities.
Golden Carers has 1000s of activities and resources for senior care.
The elderly won't stay up until midnight to usher in the New Year.
Don't let that stop you from celebrating the passage of the year.
A countdown to noon or dusk will give staff and residents an opportunity to celebrate the New Year together.
Here are a few ideas:
- Provide finger food and dips
- Offer champagne and orange juice or sparkling grape juice
- Give everyone a Party Hat!
- Hand out Party Poppers or other Noisemakers
- Play happy music and sing along to Auld Lang Syne
- Organise a Balloon Drop!
- Attach the four ends of a large bedsheet to the ceiling of the recreation area where residents will be seated;
- Fill with balloons of all colours.
- Ten seconds before the chosen hour, start your countdown: 10 – 9 – 8 – 7...
- When you get to '1', pull the sheet away so the balloons fall on the crowd
- Watch a movie starring Elvis Presley (his birthday is in January) or other movies such as: Rocky – The Bishop's Wife – It’s a Wonderful Life.
Related: Holiday Movie Recommendations for the Elderly
- Invite family members to join you for the celebration!
Happy New Year!
We'd love to hear your feedback and ideas!